Tuesday 22 March 2011




I have taken a very literal response to the items we handled from the Museum's collection, with particular reference to the samples made by young girls in the 1860s and 1870s. I have always wondered how much they enjoyed (doubtful) making all these samples and how useful (probably) they were in their adult lives. I am making four small framed samples: stitched letters, darning, a buttonhole and rows of embroidery stitches. It's made me realise two things already - my eyesight is not brilliant in working so closely with or without glasses so possibly doing this kind of work at age 8 was a bit easier, and also it is very time-consuming in our "modern age", i.e. who ever sews buttonholes by hand these days?? although I think if I practised more and made them better perhaps I could incorporate them into my textile art ...... we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.